Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bright spots

These days have been a little, uh, trying. Both boys seem to be going through a coordinated bossy/opinionated/tantrumy/clingy stage. Double the fun, I tell you. There were a couple of gems today, though.

Ethan was measuring the length of a tool: "Two-eighths and... a hundred dollars."

We often read a book called Owl Moon, about a little girl and her father walking through the woods late at night calling to owls. It is a lovely, peaceful story. Ethan walked around the house and announced "I'm going owling." I silently congratulated myself for 1) raising kids with healthy imaginative play and 2) instilling a deep love/respect for nature. Then he came back.
"I shooted all the owls. Now I'm going deering."
I guess one out of two isn't bad.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a good day! Too cute. When the kids were little they found a baby bird and wanted to raise it. I went through the "only a mother bird can raise a baby bird" routine. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but they went back outside. Later I asked "what did you do with the baby bird?" "Oh, we fed it to the cats", was their off-handed reply.

Jen said...

Hysterical! No remorse at all?