Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Yes We Can

Last night, I laid on the couch with my babies and watched Barack Obama become the next president. Tears rolled down my cheeks as I listened to his words. We as a nation chose hope. We chose a person to lead our country because of his intelligence and honesty. We did not fall for the lies and hateful tactics of the other candidate. I have never been so proud to be part of this nation.

I am so proud to be able to tell my children, you were part of this. It is because of you, your future, your innocence, my dreams for you, that we were able to make this happen.

I voted for Obama because of what his policies will mean for my family, but as I watched him on stage with his wife and children, I was struck by what his election will mean for all families, especially the many black children growing up in homes without fathers. What a role model for those young men- a Harvard-educated man who is devoted to his wife and daughters; who has faith that he can bring change to the system that, 50 years ago, would have tried to keep him from voting.

Yes we can.
Yes we did.
Yes we will.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I cried too. I thought about the immortal words "I have a dream" and then I watched it come alive on my television screen. I was incredibly moved.