Monday, November 3, 2008

Summer's End

We have had some very warm days lately so we are trying to soak up as much sun as possible before it snows again. Of course that includes going to a playground every time we have an errand to run.


I can't get over how much has changed since our first trip to the park this summer. Evan slept in his carseat or I carried him around. Then he graduated to the baby swing and the fun that is crawling around eating sand. Now he thinks he can run the excavator! It will be awesome to watch them run around together next summer. Can I start bringing a book?


We planted bulbs last week. I dug the holes, Ethan put them in, and Evan took them out. A very efficient team, if I do say so myself. At least this time when Ethan watered them, he didn't use so much water that the bulbs rushed away in a river of expensive soil nutrients. (Poor lilies.) We found a lot of worms. The first one was tiny and Ethan carefully carried it over to a chair. "This baby needs his mommy!" he announced. So we found another one. "It's OK, Baby, we found your mommy. She will take care of you," he reassured the little one as he brought the 'mommy' over. He spent the next several minutes constructing a nest for them, then wandered back over to me. "Are the worms happy now?" I asked him. "They need their Gramma to come," he informed me. Well, don't we all. He was ecstatic when we found another one. "Here is your Gramma, little wormies!" he cried. "NOW they are so happy."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ethan, Maybe I can teach you about vermicomposting!You could have all kinds of worm families!

Jen said...

That sounds perfect! He loves our compost pile- he even wants my mom to include it in songs.

Jenny said...

I think you should do a post JUST on compost pile songs. The country girl in me is envious of all this excavator worm compost pile talk. Also, impressed because you take two kids ANYWHERE. I like to wait until Jeff can go with us. Am lazy. :)