Sunday, November 16, 2008

Celebrate

So, Evan is one. A full-fledged toddler. Ethan and I will have to stop saying "Hi, Baby" when we see him. We had a wonderful celebration with my family. Saturday began at an incredibly early hour for Matt, Dad, and Ethan, who bundled up and headed out to 'boom some deer'. The rest of us enjoyed a celebratory birthday breakfast. "I can't believe he's one!" we kept saying to each other. "Remember, last year..."

We watched the football game, played Scrabble, and put the finishing touches on the birthday dinner. Thanks, Tess!
Evan didn't really seem to enjoy the actual party. He screamed in his high chair and wouldn't touch his cake. The sugar rush isn't such a novel idea for him, I guess, considering that I caught the boys splitting a Kit-Kat from the Halloween bucket that morning.
"Here, Evan, I will teach you how to open pwesents," Ethan told him as he gently guided Evan's hand to the wrapping paper. Matching Husker hats from Kirk and the 4-wheeler from Tessa were big, big hits.

As was the wagon from my parents. "I think it's a tway-lor" Ethan had announced when Kirk carried the huge box inside. That kid can spot a trailer a mile away.
Then we took the celebration on the road to a bar in Burwell (just terrific parenting, I know), where I rocked the karaoke machine while Tessa, Kirk, and Matt played pool and shuffleboard.
The boys had a great evening with Gramma, Grampa, and Grandpa Joe. They even went to sleep like normal children! On Sunday we were all ready for extra naps, though.


* I am having all sorts of problems with Blogger right now, so I will upload the 1-year slideshow and mushy birth story later.


1 comment:

Margaret said...

It looks like you had a great party weekend! I love the cake, I am going to do that for Matthew's next birthday.