Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Logic, Thy Name is Toddler

I may have mentioned this one or two million times, but Evan has approximately 1/4th of the vocabulary Ethan had at this age. However, I am not at all worried because his ability to communicate is finely honed indeed.

As usual this afternoon, there was a chair pushed up to the kitchen counter. Whether it was used to better reach some forbidden object or assist with lunch preparations, I don't remember, but it was inconveniencing Evan. He moved it out of the way, opened the bottom drawer filled with kid stuff, carefully selected a cup, walked over to the fridge, and squawked "Dwee! Dwee!" I obediently opened the door and he peered inside. I offered the milk jug and he glared at me while pointing insistently to a container of juice. Ah ha! He rewarded me with a big smile, drank his juice, and went on his merry way.

I don't know why I'm always so exhausted. These kids are practically self-sufficient.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I will leave a comment but I will get a lot of grief... I too was a "late" talker - and look at me now. Matter of fact, Budy would not watch me without Laura there to translate. But really, what was so hard about knowing that "glug, glug, glug" meant I needed a drink????

Jenny said...

I know all my comments are usually along the "me too!" variety but . . . same here! You could have switched "Evan" with "James" and the story would have been IDENTICAL. A couple of times I've thought, huh, James doesn't talk nearly as much as Faith did, but then he does have a rather forceful way of grunting, pulling, pushing, pointing his way to what he wants.