Sunday, October 5, 2008

Still Smilin'


We got a load of rock for our driveway. Apparently a big pile of rocks is what we needed to restore some inner peace around here. There has been lots of bulldozing, building, and gnawing. Ethan has had more pleasant moments than not. The atmosphere has changed ever since his sweet little declaration. Suddenly I can face the defiance and testing again without lying down in exhaustion and letting those boys trod all over my worn, defeated body. I keep thinking about this and wondering if I could have diffused the tension earlier with a similar verbal gift to him. Would he have been able to cope with his life better if, days ago, I had surprised him with some kind words out of the blue? Or is that kind of power only held by little hands?

I feel pretty awful about this, actually. (Mommy guilt, even during the good times. You can't win.) These past weeks have just made me question so much about my parenting abilities. But I didn't beat him or lock him in the attic, no matter how tempted I was. When he wasn't in time-out, I hugged him and told him I loved him and we painted together and washed dishes together and played with kitties, etc etc etc. I'm pretty sure I didn't ruin him. I would feel worse if I didn't correct any of this behavior and he grew up to be a serial killer, or at the least a major drain on society. I don't know why I can't shake this funk. I know that parenting is the ultimate roller coaster of good times and hanging-upside-down, screaming-your-head-off times. None of the phases, sweet or evil, last for long. So why am I so whiny and melodramatic about this one?

I wonder if there is any leftover Zoloft around here. Maybe I'll just go climb around on the rock pile.

6 comments:

Margaret said...

You are the most wonderful mother there is Jen! I am always saying that I wish I was as good as you. I have some extra Zoloft though, if you want me to send you any! :)

Betsy said...

It is the daily conflict between me and my kids, the power struggles that are an essential, unavoidable part of motherhood, that wear me down the most. This is the kind of stuff that you just can't prepare yourself for ahead of time. I've been there, and still go there on a regular basis. Hope you had fun climbing that rock pile and thanks for stopping over at Momformation.

Jenny said...

It's because parenting is the most important thing you will do so it's only natural to wonder if you are constantly screwing it up. Just last night before I fell asleep I was realizing how much of my time is trying to get the kids to just stop climbing, falling, making messes, etc. You know, BEING KIDS. I don't want to be that kind of mom. I don't want to constantly try to get them out of my hair. So my new goal is to do it all better, to be the best mother that I can be, which means I'll still fail occasionally, but my time will hopefully be spent more wisely, more kind words, more teaching, more playing. I have to remember that they are learning how to act based of what they see from me every day and if that doesn't shake me to my senses sometimes then I don't know what will.

Now, what is this time out you speak of? Tell me how on earth you do this!!

Anonymous said...

A rock pile! How wonderful! All ages can enjoy it too! Some can cut teeth and others move the rocks from one place to another (2 year olds and 20 somethings!). Satisfaction for all! Allison's kids always had a digging hole - a big digging hole. I think it served as a mental health stabilizer too. I'm sure you didn't ruin him - he is a kind, smart, sensitive kid! And yes - you don't want to bow to all his whims and demands or you will have problems! You are doing great! Love, Laura

Jen said...

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Jenny: OK, that is my goal, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen- I once went to a Love and Logic seminar where the author said we (parents) should be excited about the opportunity to discipline our kids when they are young. He said if they actually learned about consequences when they're young, they'll be much better kids/need less discipline when they're older.

I keep telling myself that...

p.s. just being at your blog makes me so excited to come home to Nebraska this weekend. Woot!