Friday, January 1, 2010

Sunrise

It's ironic that New Year's Day always dawns with such promise and optimism, and I stumble around bleary-eyed and hungover. This year I'm going to manage our budget, and this year I'm going to blog 4 times a week, and this year...uggh could everyone keep it down a little? I once read about a family that wakes up early on New Year's Day and hikes up a mountain to watch the sunrise together, then talk about their hopes and dreams for the upcoming year. I want to be that family. Maybe next year...

The great thing about parenting is that you have a million chances for self-improvement, or whatever the catch phrase is this year. It doesn't matter if it's sunrise on New Year's Day or 4:15 pm on any given Wednesday, you can always resolve to stick to a bedtime routine or stop yelling or cut TV time down to a reasonable 6-8 hours per day. You can always start to do better, then fall on your face, then try your best the next day.

The same is true of God's grace, times infinity.
Amazing.

Happy New Year, everyone.

4 comments:

tessa said...

wow!!! 2 blogs. i think this is your year jen :)

Brooke said...

Happy NEW YEAR! I love this post... you crack me up ;) My goal for 2010 is simply to stop buying diapers... at some point!!

Jenny said...

I love it. And you're right. Thank goodness for more than one chance to get it right!

Laura said...

Dear Jenny! You make me laugh and cry all in the same paragraph! Your mother must be so proud of you!