Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Christmas Recap

Normally I don't pay attention to what the weather is doing until after I've gone outside and forgotten my coat, but the BIG SNOW PANIC mania really started to get to me this time. After deciding that the weather might actually keep us from getting to our various Christmas festivities, I realized that I had nothing for the boys to open at my house. So bright and early Tuesday morning (the 23rd) my friend Laura and I loaded up our five wild ones to go to town to get flu shots (because what if we get SNOWED IN before they get the 2nd H1N1 dose and the germs are carried via BLIZZARD and... well, no one thinks clearly after spending so many days stuck inside with small children, right) and then I left them all at the library and spent 300 more dollars (which included groceries and dog food, you're welcome) and we ate lunch at McDonald's and drove home in freezing rain. On Wednesday I worked from both lists (food to take/clothes to pack and prepare for BIG SNOW) so I was thoroughly frazzled by Thursday when Matt said we couldn't go, then thoroughly disappointed, then excited and frazzled again when he came in from doing chores and said yes, we could go. So off we go...and it only took twice as long as usual to travel because of the BLIZZARD CONDITIONS. Traveling home took three times as long but I'm over it.

We were very happy to spend Christmas Day with my family and visit with Matt's family as well. (His dad only had to pull us out of one drift on the way to their house.) It was disappointing to not see beloved cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandpa but I did leave the boys with my parents so they could enjoy "Christmas Eve" and I could enjoy it vicariously through them.


All the Christmas specials we've watched lately share the theme of "Christmas is ruined because Santa can't come oh look! the kids saved the day by helping Santa." Ethan and I have talked about how silly that is because no matter what happens at Christmas now, Baby Jesus came to earth on that long-ago Christmas and that Happening changed the world forever. It was good for me to remember that this year as plans changed and changed again. We are safe and we are loved, and I wish all of you those blessings this Christmas season and all of 2010.

5 comments:

tessa said...

yay!!! finally a new blog!!! nice work jen, dont worry christmas was only a week and a half ago :)

Jen said...

bite me

tessa said...

jen, you need to go think of a nice way to talk to your sister

Em said...

We missed you at Christmas Eve, but I am glad you sent the kids! I have a bunch of pictures and I made a CD so I will send it to you so Tessa can stop calling you a slacker...hehe but I too was beginning to wonder "where did she go?"

NUSLP said...

love it!