Monday, December 29, 2008

Only

Since we got home from all the Christmas celebrations, Evan has been completely delightful. He walked around the house with a perpetual slobbery grin, entertaining himself or tagging along with me peacefully. I was worried that he would be lonesome without Ethan but he seemed to be enjoying his temporary only-child status. Maybe it was nice to have a break from getting knocked down all the time and be able to choose whatever you want to play with. He's been talking more, too, saying "Tay doo" over and over, with the same inflection as 'thank you'.

Sunday morning, however, the tides changed. Evan was fussy all through church, trying to escape from us to go play with the kids nearby. He remained crabby all day at home and didn't want me to put him down not even for ONE TINY NANOSECOND. Matt and I watched him scream on the floor, with his little red angry face and waving furious fists, with some amusement. (Yes, we are great parents. The suffering of our children entertains us. Maybe we should get out more.) "I bet he thinks, other babies said this works- just lay down and scream and you'll get your way." Matt wondered. Sorry, Baby, people at your house are Unfair.

This morning has been a little better but he still wants to be carried around most of the time. I wonder if he's starting to miss Ethan. I know I am. Maybe it's time to head down to Crete.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

How much does he weigh??? He looks like a big guy and I am feeling sorry for your poor back! I am having the same issue with Dylan... and he is a tank.... My back is NEVER going to be the same. Have you mastered folding laundry one-handed yet??? Me neither!!!

Jenny said...

Just remember, when he's thirteen he's going to refuse to let you pick him up and carry him around : )

Jen said...

When he's 13, I'm going to wrap myself around his legs when he tries to leave and pound on the bathroom door crying for him. Mmm...revenge.

Brooke, I gave up on folding laundry long ago. It just gets dumped out of the basket anyway when someone needs it for a fort.