Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Blessing

I wish I would have had my act together enough to publish a really meaningful post on Christmas. For my whole life, the emphasis of the season has been about the birth of Christ, but only in the last few years has the enormity of that great gift truly hit me. Only recently have I begun to understand what a grueling experience it must have been for Mary to travel a long distance -on a donkey!!- while hugely pregnant, then give birth in a stable. (And I doubt it was as clean and spacious as it is depicted in my kids' books.) What an incredible gesture of faith for Joseph to raise that child as his own. And eventually to watch that precious son give up his life on a cross... that I cannot even begin to fathom. God is great, indeed.

::::

We had several very merry, though slightly abbreviated, Christmas celebrations. I was starting to worry that we wouldn't make it to Crete at all due to bad weather, various illnesses, and a minor (?!) fire-related ranch incident. Kirk and Kasey were driving home from their ski trip to Colorado on Tuesday night and picked up Ethan so at least one of us would be sure to get to Gramma's house. Recalling fond memories of singing and playing instruments with my aunts and cousins, I sent along a band set for him to open. I should have known that others would have that same idea- both aunts also brought instruments for him, and I'm sure my mother would have if I hadn't talked about my idea every weekend for the past two months.

So Christmas Eve arrived, comparatively warm, and everyone seemed pretty healthy. The smoldering ash-pit that used to be a pumphouse didn't seem so bad by the light of day and our insurance agent thought that the well/wiring/components/whatever would be covered. We decided to head east, and approximately 6 hours later were on the road. We had a wonderful time celebrating with our families, and no matter how old I get, opening presents is always a thrill!

Ethan is still at my parents' house. We needed to drive back Christmas Day night but he wasn't ready for the fun to be over. They got together with my cousins, aunts, and uncles today, and I am so glad for him to get plenty time of time with all those people that love him. I hope that all of you had a wonderful Christmas celebration, as well. God bless.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

The thoughtful post you meant to write? You just did.

Brooke said...

I have to agree - that was a very meaningful post!!!
I pretty much just posted pictures... I couldn't even get my act together to figure out what to even write about our celebrations.
Ekk... a FIRE!!!
Glad all is OK!