Thursday, May 28, 2009

Speak

You know how your car can make a funny noise every time you get in, but as soon as a guy -especially a mechanic- test drives it, it runs perfectly? Well apparently the same principle applies to the verbalizations of a certain 18-month-old. One recent Friday I talked to our doctor and got a pamphlet for an Early Childhood Development screening, and that very weekend Evan started using eight new words. His current favorites are up and owie, which at first he used in perfect context. Now, however, they have evolved. 'Up', accompanied by grabby fingers, can mean 'pick me up', 'put this illicit treasure up there', 'give me that', 'give me that NOW', 'on', and 'off' (duh). 'Owie' represents not only minor injuries that require a kiss but 'this is an unjust world' and 'why will no one pay attention to me'. One evening he was following me around wailing owwwwieee as I tried to something important. "You're not hurt, Baby, 'owie' does not apply," I finally snapped. "Well maybe his feelings are hurt because you are ignoring him," Matt defended him. Oh, of course.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

It is scary that are little guys are so in synch! Dylan is adding new words, it is slow going, but still progress, none the less. His new favorite is "Uh-Ohhhhh" usually when he drops (or throws, which is his version of dropping) something. I am sure that you are equally delighted to hear the sweet sound of little words forming.

Jen said...

Yes, and uh-oh is also heard around here very often!

A while back you wrote about Dylan suddenly using a lot more words, and I've been walking around thinking 'well, Dylan is talking a lot more, so Evan will any day now, too.' :) How did people survive parenting before the internet?

Laura said...

Evan is brilliant, and will soon be driving you crazy with his constant chatter! But in the meantime you can worry if you like!

Jen said...

Thanks, Laura! You are so right.

Jenny said...

I love the sudden rush of vocabulary. James was the same way, not talking, only grunting, pointing, shrieking, and then all of the sudden it was mama and kitty and Faye and milk and bye and PawPaw. It was music to my ears, since I had already diagnosed him as having a speech delay . . . you know, Dr. Jenny here. Ha.

Soon he'll be telling you what all Ethan is doing to him. Ah, the things you have to look forward to.