Monday, May 4, 2009

Can I just say, I LOVE this guy?

David Leonheart wrote about a terrific interview with Barack Obama on the NY Times website. This quote from the President really struck me:

"What I’m very confident about is that given the difficult options before us, we are making good, thoughtful decisions. I have enormous confidence that we are weighing all our options and we are making the best choices. That doesn’t mean that every choice is going to be right, is going to work exactly the way we want it to. But I wake up in the morning and go to bed at night feeling that the direction we are trying to move the economy toward is the right one and that the decisions we make are sound."

For one thing, it is very reassuring in regards to the economy and general mess we're in. It also hit home with me in the context of parenting. I have been bogged down in doubt and guilt and feelings of incompetence lately. This statement feels kind of like a gentle reminder that most of what I'm doing is okay, and it's okay to not do it all perfectly. If you replace 'economy' with 'children' in his last sentence, the whole thing sounds like very good advice from your mother or aunt or best friend.

Good talk, Mr. President. I needed that. Can we schedule a playdate sometime? Do your girls like sword fights and tractors, by any chance?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
In regards to your article, here's a tidbit from the current news that sort of illustrates the theme a llittle. If you'd like, here's a link to the page.

Enjoy!
MediaMentions