Thursday, March 19, 2009

Quotable Quotes

Yesterday Matt took the day off. The night before, he told Ethan he didn't have to go to work and they made a lot of exciting plans. Unfortunately, the day began for Matt with a meeting at the FSA, the government office in charge of Farm Loans and Causing People To Chop Off Their Own Limbs In An Attempt To Avoid These Annual Lovefests. (And if I ever complain about anything my beloved husband does this year, remind me of how he took one for the team by handling this financial review himself. Love you, babe.) Anyway. Midway through breakfast, Ethan set down his fork and ran to the front door. "Hey!" he exclaimed. "I thought my daddy didn't have to go to work today." I explained that he had gone to a meeting but he would be home soon. Ethan was all sorts of offended. "My dad was supposed to be home all day. Why would you guys twick me wike that?"

Then we watched Ethan's friends, Ethan and Lissy, that afternoon. The kids were happily playing when Matt got home. We sat at the kitchen table and talked Matt off the ledge, then reviewed the details of the meeting and the rest of the paperwork they needed. At one point the kids ran through the room but otherwise we never heard a peep. "At this age, it's kind of like the more kids there are, the easier it is," I remarked. "I know, we just had a whole conversation," Matt marveled. Then he scooped up Evan and kissed his head. "But, y'know, I think we're almost out of the horrible part."

Ha! Yeah, I do know.

* Note to all the pregnant readers: not to imply that infancy is horrible...it's a very, uh, special time. You'll love it, really.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Yes! There are two sides to THAT coin. Sweet little infants, so chubby and soft and cuddly and screechy and howly and furious and poopy-diapered.

Laura said...

I think it's all down-hill and smooth-sailing from here on out.