Sunday, September 7, 2008

Random, again

I have been channeling my inner Laura Ingalls Wilder this week- putting by stores of beans, tomatoes, peaches, and carrots. Now I just need to go kill a hog and make some head cheese (although I never did figure out what that meant). Also, my camera rode home with my parents last weekend so I have been unable to take any adorable pictures to use as a theme for a blog entry. I have a feeling this will be a rambling, disjointed entry. Read on, IF YOU DARE.

Ethan learned a valuable life lesson this week: Mom is always right. Especially when it comes to the wisdom of food, like the concept that jalapeno peppers are really frickin' hot and will burn your mouth so don't eat them. (I'm sure you can see where this is going.) Sure enough, he took a big bite out of a fresh, juicy jalapeno and began to chew. "Mom, it's not too hot!" he crowed triumphantly before taking another bite and swallowing. Then he changed his tune. "OOH, OOH! My mouf!! It's hurting me!" I felt bad that he was suffering, but it's not like I hadn't warned him. Multiple times, as a matter of fact. He drank some milk and ate a banana, then spent the rest of the afternooon on the couch nursing popsicles and drinks, looking pitiful.

Evan has two new teeth on the top. He likes clicking them against his bottom teeth, which makes me think he is chewing on something he shouldn't have so I dig around in his mouth approximately 20 times a day. FYI, they are very sharp.

I really wished I had my camera this morning because Matt was holding both boys in church and their outfits were all color-coordinated! It was very cute, albeit unintentional. It's cold and rainy these days so as soon as we got home, the good clothes came off and the sweats went on. It was fun to find the winter clothes for Evan. I'm always a little sad to pack up the sizes he's outgrown (and by 'pack up' I mean throw in a big pile in the corner of his room), but I love unpacking the next-sized tote and remembering how adorable Ethan looked in those outfits.
See? But of course he has always preferred the naked strategy.
It's funny- when I look at his baby pictures, I sometimes think oh, that looks just like him. Duh, it IS him.
And Evan, circa March or April. Aww, it looks just like him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jenny, Nick and I just found your new entry! Too funny! Poor Ethan, I'm glad he recovered and I'm sure he will ALWAYS take your advice after that! Good job on all your "putting up"! Grandma Harriet would have been proud of you! Isn't it wonderful to line up your jars or look in your freezer! You got something done you can see! Just don't let Ethan carry it all to the basement...

Jenny said...

Thoughts on head cheese - I LOVED the Laura Ingalls books, I remember the part about killing the hog and blowing up the bladder and using it for a ballon or something along those disgusting lines, and thought, cheese? from the hog's head? I don't get it. Only now I GET IT and it makes me want to vomit. Lots.