Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Autumn Harvest


Fall has arrived in all its crisp, colorful glory. I think it is officially my favorite season. I remember thinking that last year, but chalked it up to the excitement of preparing for a new baby. This time there is no baby on the horizon but I am loving these days even more. The weather is perfect for long walks, inspecting every leaf on the ground. And, ummmm, the food. The beauty and bounty of fresh produce never ceases to amaze me. It is so satisfying to eat the vegetables from the garden we've tended all summer. "Ooh, look! A bean!" Ethan exclaims over and over. "Maytoes! Can I pick a maytoe?" We've been canning and preserving everything in sight. I love the rhythmn of picking, cleaning, chopping, mixing: all those steps that have been done by my mother, aunts, grandmother, Caroline Ingalls...so many women throughout the years putting food by for their families. It is such a comfort to be connected that way.

Other great things about cool weather:
Sweatpants. Baked goods. Hot chocolate. Movie nights.
Good thing I am excited about sweats because I won't be fitting into my jeans for awhile.



Quote of the Day, Ethan, 9/19: "Good parents would pick all of those stickers out of the ground."
Yeah, but you're stuck with us, kid.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful Jenny! I love it that you are thrilling in your fall harvest and preserving! I hate to carry my full jars down to the basement until I've made everyone admire them! Ethan! How many times in your life will you think that very thought, and how many times will you not even realize the that the stickers were removed before you even saw them! I guess I wish you some of each!

Anonymous said...

Why can't I post a comment without a mistake? Ignore the extra "the".

Jen said...

Laura, what a compelling thought. I will pass it on to him as soon as possible.

Don't worry about the typos- I am just so glad to read comments!

Love, Jenny

Anonymous said...

We are so autumn-y aren't we? But yours is much happier than mine :), thanks for the comment by the way.

Oh how I hope to one day have another babe so that I can dress either my girls or my boys alike. Your boys are so UNBEARABLY cute!

Also (longest comment EVER) I completely agree about the produce thing. This was the first year I've had a garden and to put away all that food that we grew all by ourselves was incredibly rewarding. And it tastes better too!

Deidre Ochsner said...

I am pretty sure if I took a break from blogging... my family would have my head! :-) The boys look SO cute. You are highly motivated... what fall means to me... Andy watches football... I start Christmas shopping. :-)

Anonymous said...

You're making me homesick for Nebraska!!

p.s. the boys sure are cute!