Monday, September 15, 2008

All About Evan


Evan and I have been having a lot of fun recently. Seriously. Fun. One day while Ethan was napping, Evan was wide awake and in a fantastic mood so we played on the floor with blocks. He was ecstatic about all the exciting things you can do with blocks- pick them up, put them down, chew on them, put them down over there- the possibilities are endless! I realized that I rarely play with toys just for him. Usually Ethan is organizing the activity or Evan is occupying himself with a spoon or riding around on my hip while I get some mundane little household task done (or started. Whatever.). So I was pleasantly surprised to spend some one-on-one time with the little guy that did not involve walking all around the house at midnight, jiggling and shuushing over the sound of his earpiercing shrieks. Because that seems to be his idea of quality Mommy and Me time.


Now he raises his chubby arms up in the air and chortles with delight when you say "How big is Evan?"! Ethan doesn't want to be outdone, of course, so he'll yell "How big is meeeeeee?" and throw his arms up in the air and tip over backwards in a kind of spastic back flip. I hope their little necks are as resiliant as their skulls seem to be.


Until recently, Evan has occasionally still shown some newborn traits while sleeping. A sweet, secret smile would flit across his face or he would scrunch his nose and stretch his neck out. Now when he wakes up, his disgruntled, confused face more closely resembles a teenager being awakened before noon. Ethan and I are sympathetic because that's usually what we feel like, too. (What's wrong, Matt asks me every morning, without fail.)


So my baby is growing up, and it is wonderful. He is becoming a little independent person who is truly a joy to be around. Oh how I treasure these moments together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How delightful Jenny! The picture is darling (although I love the screaming baby in the life jacket picture!) and you write so beautifully. I'm so glad you adore your beautifully children! So do we!

Anonymous said...

Dear Evan, You are one beautiful baby! Love Gramma

Anonymous said...

Whoops! I mean "beautiful".