Sunday, July 27, 2008

Highlights Reel


Oh, did I not mention that my mother broke her arm? The first night? It made for a pretty crappy time for her and a lot more work for the rest of us. Evan was especially confused about why Gramma wouldn't rescue him from his evil mommy who obviously had no idea what he needed. But he survived, and my mom is a real trooper. Now she has to get ready for school and get to various appointments with the orthopedic doctor. It will be a long six weeks. (For me, obviously.)

Other highlights:


Sleeping in the tent was so cozy & entertaining. Usually, putting Ethan to bed is one of the tasks I find most irritating but it was actually enjoyable to have that snuggle time and sweet conversations at the end of the day. He and Matt would goof around for awhile, which always cracks me up. "You are a tiger and I am a WYYYY-ON!" Ethan would announce, and then the roaring would commence. After they were good and tired, Ethan would snuggle up next to me. "I wuv you so much," he would smile. "I wuv my Evan so much. Can I pat him? Can I kiss him?" (So who in their right mind would snap, "No! He is sleeping!" Me, that's who.)

I also got to take a nap in the hammock with Evan one afternoon. I hope I never forget how peaceful and grateful I felt in those moments. His warm body, the sweet baby smell, the gentle rocking in the perfect mountain breeze...I have been trying and trying to describe it but I can't think of enough words to adequately capture that amazing time. I attempt to channnel that bliss when one of them is driving me crazy. Sometimes it even works.

Fun With Words X 2

Evan said "Dad", "Gah-ma", and "Mom" (yes, in that order) during the week. So precious.

Ethan also made some verbal advances: I heard him muttering something while trying to put on his sandals. I bent down to help him and asked what he had said. (Note to self, never ask that again.) "Fuckit, fuckit, fuckit!" he replied. "Dang it, dang it, dang it," I suggested, trying not to laugh. "No," he looked me in the eye. "FUCK!" I almost died but luckily he hasn't said it since. His arguments have also gotten more logical. One evening Matt told him he couldn't have any more candy so he headed into the camper to work on Gramma. "Daddy said I could NOT have more fwuit. Daddy said I COULD have more candy bars." I can't believe he is already trying to play us against one another! We are in deep, deep trouble.


If I was a rock star like Deidre, these would be in a slideshow set to kickass music, but I'm not so here:

3 comments:

Deidre Ochsner said...

You are so sweet for the compliment, but if I could write as well as you do, I would not need the video slideshows set to music!

Kali Landmark said...

You really do have a talent for writing...I have enjoyed reading up on your family and boys. I can't wait to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

So beautiful!