Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Ode to the Second Child


Yes, I realize I just wrote an entire post without once mentioning Evan's name. I didn't mean to slight him, I just couldn't figure out how to seque from that mushy drivel about Ethan into a report about how much fun Evan is right now. And he is really fun. Totally deserving of his own post. That was the plan all along.


Evan has got this whole crawling thing figured out. No block tower is safe and no toy/dirty spoon/shoe will go unmouthed. He has taken to eating like a T-Rex to a fresh batch of...whatever T-Rexs eat. Maybe he is training for a baby-underground avocado eating contest. I guess I'll find out when he asks for a ride. He laughs and he frowns and acts like he understands everything Ethan tells him. (Maybe he does, what do I know.) Ethan is about to squeeze me out for the title of Evan's Favorite Person in the Whole Entire World. Their relationship sums up all the good reasons we wanted to have Numero Dos, but I thought the baby would think I was a super-cool-mom, at least until he turned 1. (Hey, wanna nurse? No? Ok, well, call me later.) I love watching him figure out how to open the wipes container and I love how much he loves looking at himself in the mirror. His baby book and calendar might have some blank spots but I am enjoying his babyhood just as much -and maybe more- than Ethan's. He is certainly not lacking for love or attention. Hopefully as he gets older he'll understand that the reason his pictures and stories are intertwined with his brother's is because his life is so richly intertwined with his big brother's. Those two boys are blessings to us and to each other. I am so proud of both of them. Love for them permeates every cell in my body and overflows in hugs and kisses, whether they want them or not.

No comments: