Thursday, July 2, 2009

Briefly

I wish I had a really good excuse for neglecting this poor little blog, like I was busy writing a novel or finding the cure for cancer, but this is not the place for grandiose fibs. (That place, obviously, would be among a group of fishermen. Or perhaps a new mothers' play group: 'My baby slept through the night at 2 days old.' 'My baby aced his early admission exam to Harvard.') And if this blog had feelings and felt neglected, all it would have to do is look out at my garden for a shocking portrait of REAL neglect. Or look at the boys' long, filthy fingernails. Shudder.

Instead I've been: Playing 'puppy' with Evan, decluttering (feels so good), potty training, trying to choose the perfect camera, finalizing details for upcoming vacations, trying to keep the bucket calves in their pen, caring for the screamingest infant I've ever known (and I've known some pretty screamy infants), praying, raking hay, feeding people, swimming, and, oh yeah, occasionally going to WORK. So far I am loving my job and Matt is loving the extra time at home so that's working out well. It's been quite challenging to get out the door at a specific time but I am trying to act like an adult about it. (Specifically, an adult who can manage a schedule, not an adult who has been doing whatever she pleases for the past 4 years).

Ethan is spending this week at my parents' house. We are missing him but it has been fun to have this one-on-one time with Evan. He has grown up so much lately- practicing big boy postures like leaning against the wall on one leg and standing with his hands on his hips; really helping around the house; and choosing imaginative play games that actually make sense. He uses new words everyday and continues to communicate very clearly with non-verbal cues as needed. Once in a while I can step back from the everyday madness and really look at the boys. I am constantly surprised and delighted by what amazing little people they are. I can't wait to get my hands on Ethan this weekend. Til then, I think I'll be able to keep myself busy.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

Thanks, hon, for two new posts! I hope you have a great time this weekend at your folks! Ethan is SO big that he can be there a whole week! Hugs to ALL of you. Happy 4th.

Laura said...

It's about time, Jenny! We've been missing you! I can't wait to see you and your darling boys!

Brooke said...

YAY! Glad to see an update. It has been a LOOOONG time ;)
I hear you on the whole getting out the door for work thing. I am usually worn out by the time I even get there. But I am glad you are enjoying it. I know that working a little bit helps me feel a little more "balanced!" HAPPY 4th!!!!