Friday, April 17, 2009

Just doing my part

There is quite a movement currently sweeping the nation regarding the lack of time children spend outside. Terms such as 'nature deficit disorder' and 'No Child Left Inside' are the new 'breast is best.' Don't you love it when something you already do qualifies you for -at least temporarily- Good Parent status? Now if only someone would publish a study saying that falling asleep on the couch while watching Dirty Jobs is beneficial to your marriage, or that eating ice cream every day will prevent cancer.

Bonus: cheap labor.
In other news, the puppy has settled in wonderfully. We named her Maggie, because 1) we want to be just like Nick and 2) she looks exactly like our first dog named Maggie and I wasn't able to convince my brain to call her anything else (I tried for Macy, but it didn't stick). Apparently she was exhausted from a hard day's work. So was Ethan, who came inside tonight and laid down on the floor. "I am COMPLETLY worn out," he announced. I'll second that.

6 comments:

tessa said...

those pictures are soooo cute!!! i am back in action with your blog as my home page, and will get my act together with the commenting :)

Nick said...

I'm honored!

Jenny said...

I love this post so much.

You know, a few years ago everyone was all "aaagghhh, skin cancer! TOO MUCH SUN, PROTECT YOUR BABIES!" and now it's all, "NOT ENOUGH SUN, VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY!" and that cracks me up. I don't know WHY anyone would choose to stay inside when they can take their kids outside and kids go nuts and can entertain themselves for hours. And that, of course, is my main concern.

Brooke said...

I don't think any of us are suffering from Vitamin D deficiencies in our house either. YAY SUNSHINE!!!! Darling pics - your crew is just so darn cute - where did you manage to find them??? :)

Laura said...

I agree on the irony of the vitamin D headlines! (I'm sure we err in the too-much-sun-exposure direction...) Your boys are darling and I am completely in favor of meaningful work! Way to go! Get as much work out of them as you can before they learn to drive...

Colleen said...

Jenny your boys are just adorable and your blog is a joy to look at puts smile on my face everytime I visit. Keep up the good work. I will have to get Dawn to do the same.