Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Turning Tides


We babysat Ethan's BFF, Brayden, yesterday. It is fascinating to watch these little guys interact. Occasionally they'll revert to toddler behavior- not sharing, pushing, etc.- but most of the time now they play and talk on a completely new level. Evan and I sat on the deck and eavesdropped while they climbed on the lawnmower. "Do you have any gas for your mower?" Brayden asked. "Yeah, there's a can in the shed," Ethan replied. (Seriously- that is a direct quote!) They dug some holes in the dirt and played with the baby calf. I nursed Evan and enjoyed the sunshine. It is odd to realize that Ethan rarely needs me to help navigate social situations with his peers anymore. It's one step closer to independence, which brings the same combination of pride and wistfulness that has accompanied each rung of this developmental ladder. For so many months, I was a vital part of his entertainment: building the block towers, breaking up fights over tractors, translating his words for others. Now it is both a reprieve and a rejection to be designated to the sidelines. (What is my problem? Playing tractors is SO frickin' boring!) And he's only two... I can't even imagine what the teenage years are going to be like. Ahh, the glorious, heartbreaking dichotomy of parenthood.


I was trying to get a picture of Evan's new tooth. See the little white spot on the bottom left? Trust me, it's there.

2 comments:

Deidre Ochsner said...

Hahaha... Alexis has the same outfit as Evan except in Pink and Blue instead of Green and Blue!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenny it makes me want to cry! Thank you! I used to be afraid I miss something now I see I won't! I really love this. Need to figure out how to copy these!! LOL