Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Eve 2010

We were cozily snowed in on Friday and looked forward to a quiet evening together. The boys and I had looked at calendars together and talked a little about days, months, and the start of a new year so I brought paper and a marker to dinner and cheerfully asked everyone what they had enjoyed about the past year and what they wanted to do during the next year.

"Scooping snow with Evan!" Ethan said. Yes Buddy, you can definitely do more of that.
"Candy canes!" yelled Evan. Uhhhh....
"Well, I really liked-" I began.
"Can I have a candy cane?" Evan asked.
"No."
"When can I have a candy cane?"
"Next Christmas. I thought it was fun when-"
Evan jumped out of his chair. "When I see a bear, I'm goin' to jump up and SHOOT IT!"

Happy New Year, everyone. May your lives be filled with the people you love, things you love to do, and free of bears.

4 comments:

Brooke said...

Happy New Year to you guys too :D Yes, hoping I don't encounter any bears this year.... but if I do, I hope I have someone as eager to ATTACK standing near by! :D Hugs!!

tessa said...

my new years was similar to this :) love you guys.

Laura said...

Those bears must be a real threat out in Nebraska. I hope SOMEONE listened to your joys of the year!

Laura said...

I just heard an lecture on NPR by Laurie David author of "The Family Dinner". SHE would have liked your idea for connecting at dinner.