Sunday, January 30, 2011

Great Literature

On our most recent trip to the library, Ethan chose The Marshmallow Incident by Judi Barrett for the, I don't know, 84597th time. Gag me with a spoon. But then we made s'mores with shish kebob sticks over the stove top so it all worked out in the end. And discussed fire safety. (Dwop stop and woll.) And played tic-tac-marshmallow. And had sword fights with shish kebob sticks. And counted marshmallows. And discussed swordplay safety.


Evan made his own version, of course.

"Done any homeschooling lately?" Matt asked at dinner.
"Why, yes," I was able to reply. "We did a whole Unit Study on The Marshmallow Incident. Tomorrow you and the boys can build a catapult!"


No wonder he likes that darn book so much.

7 comments:

Laura said...

Fabulous! Wonderful! Marvelous! I'm go to buy you a huge box of popsicle sticks if you don't already have one! They are essential, aren't they? I think the boys are just about old enough for glue guns, don't you?! Their faces say it all! Great projects!

Jen said...

No we are just about out of popsicle sticks already! A huge box would be great. And they certainly think they are old enough for glue guns.

Tim Olsen said...

What is sword safety? Sounds boring to me. And I'm really excited that you're home schooling these two. Home schooling definitely isn't for every kid, but I can't imagine Ethan and Evan being taught by anybody but you!

Jen said...

We discussed sword safety while studying oxymorons.
HAR.

Brooke said...

I don't even think *I* am old enough for glue guns. Darn if I don't always burn myself every SINGLE time! Uh, and I am making a mental note to dodge that book at the library. We already are having a major marshmallow addiction isssues in this house.

Laura said...

I'm sooo glad you studied oxymorons too!

EM said...

swordplay safety was my favorite chapter of this unit. hahahaha I am just laughing thinking of you explaining swordplay safety.