Monday, January 10, 2011

Coming Out





I want to homeschool my children. There, I said it. As a people-pleasing eldest child, it makes me a nervous wreck to come out and say that. How to educate your child can be one of those divisive topics right up there with breastfeeding, spanking, and cosleeping. It is not right for every family and every child, but I really believe it is the right choice for my children. Matt is not convinced but we are talking and praying and are going to 'practice' a little this season to see how it works for our family.

One of my main concerns about public school is all-day kindergarten and the intensive reading program that is thrust upon the kids. Ethan spends hours every day outside or running around inside making up elaborate games and scenarios with Evan. At times he will sit and color but it can't be scheduled for him. I can't imagine telling him to stop reading to his stuffed animals or playing Legos just because some arbitrary schedule has deemed it time to sit in a circle. Also, living out in the country means that he will spend some significant time on a bus, further cutting into the time to be an independent little boy. It would also mean a strict bedtime, which would really cut into the time he gets to spend with his dad.


Being able to choose a biblically-based curriculum greatly appeals to me. Being able to learn with my children and spend all those hours reading together, exploring together, playing together greatly appeals to me.


Am I freaked out about it? Yes. When I printed off the forms to file with the State Dept. of Education, my fingers went numb and I felt nauseous. What a tremendous responsibility! But God's grace is sufficient, in everything, and this is no exception. Every parenting milestone has been preceded by a journey filled with excitement, fear, and lots of messes. Homeschooling seems like much more fun than potty training, and much easier than teaching a child to stop biting!


This is a good essay about the benefits of homeschooling and this, from my friend Kayla, is a good essay about how you don't have to homeschool to accomplish those goals. All of us just want to do what is right for our kids, and that is what makes all of us such good parents for our incredibly unique Children of God.

10 comments:

Laura said...

GO JENNY, GO! Your ideas are very well expressed! I'm behind you 100%! The reading pictures are darling!

Laura said...

What essay?

Jen said...

Thanks Laura! Click on the green 'this', I think I fixed the link. Love you!

Brooke said...

WOW! I totally see the pros and cons. You are the momma and YOU know what is best for your kiddos. Seems like there are a lot of people leaning towards homeschooling... around here there are even metups and clubs so the kids get that social time in too.

Jen said...

Yeah Brooke, I'm hoping to find a group like that around here. One friend is planning to teach her kids too so at least we'll have a small group! :)

Jenny said...

Good for you! I really, REALLY, thought about it for my own kids, but with my school schedule and Jeff's schedule . . . it just isn't in the cards for us. For now. But in the future? If I CAN? Then I WILL.

You know, I grew up in going to private Christian schools and I loved them and I swore my children would attend them too. But they are so expensive, soooooo expensive, that it's not even a possibility for us. Homeschooling, and bringing them up with a church community is the same thing if not better, in my opinion. Congratulations on your decision!

Sarah said...

You would be fantastic at homeschooling. But as an aspiring teacher....I feel like the teacher is missing out on some amazing little boys. :)

Jen said...

Thanks, Jenny. I hope it works out for you but you definitely have enough on your plate already!

Sarah, you're so sweet! If you taught out here I would send the boys to your class. :)

EMZ said...

Jenny, I know I give you crap, but know that I think you are an amazing mother, wife, friend and person!!! If anyone could homeschool her kids, it would be you. You know what you children need and how they learn best. I think it is such a great thing that you want to teach them. I will stand behind you 100% and please know that whatever you decide to do, you will make the right informed decision! I love you and I love your children! I'm glad you came out...

Kylie said...

You go Jenny! I'm so proud of you for "coming out".
Just remember that John Adams, Joan of Ark, Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Agatha Christie, Venus Williams, C.S. Lewis and hoards of other famous, amazing, world changing people were home educated.
You are a brilliant woman who will do splendidly!