Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Little Garden That Could

We've been wearing more hoodies than tank tops lately, and the house always smells like zuchinni bread (or zuchinni cake, or zuchinni brownies- we have a lot of zuchinni) so it must be time for my annual "I love autumn" post. We are in full-on canning and freezing mode around here. The kitchen is perpetually sticky and canning jars are balanced precariously across every available surface, but I just love this whole process. I especially love the connected-ness to women all over the world who have spent/are spending time lovingly preparing food for their families. Well, mostly lovingly... occasionally the phrase "What the *&%$ am I doing up at #%*&ing 2am?" runs through my mind, but overall it is a very peaceful process. And the results are much more satisfying than the ol' laundry, dishes, vacumn routine.
My garden has surprised and delighted me with a colorful bounty of veggies. I was pretty sure that I had neglected it right into oblivion this summer but apparently some plants are able to thrive in dry, weedy environments. Works for me!
I have been searching for recipes to mix up our zuchinni consumption and last night I made this fantastic side dish but I can't remember what site it came from. You could probably use whatever vegetables you have on hand, and if you want some zuchinni or butternut squash, COME AND GET IT.
* Random thought: If you were playing a drinking game with this post ('cause what else are blogs for) and you took a drink every time I said zuchinni, you would be freakin' wasted right now.
Garden Squash Skillet
2 medium zucchini
2 medium yellow summer squash
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and cook, stirring, for about 8 minutes, or until tender but still a little crisp. Add butter and toss with the cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. * I added more cheese and quite a bit of salt. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Brooke said...

WAIT! Let me get my glass of wine and start all over reading this post!!!! I would for sure be slurring my comment if I had been a little more prepared for your zucchini/drinking game post. Oh well.....
Yes, the air is cooling down this way too. But, I wasn't prepared for your fall blog theme. Yikes.... I am SOOOO not prepared to give up my summery flare just yet ;( Good luck with the canning!

Laura said...

I'm so happy to hear you are enjoying the "fruits of your labor!" I'm glad your garden was a success. It is wonderfully satisfying to line up your jars and see that you've accomplished something tangible. I'm going to try your recipe!

Laura said...

When the kids were babies, I would pick the beans while they were napping, and maybe get them cut-up during the day, but it would be after everyone was in bed that I could finally start canning them. Steve could never understand why I WAITED until night to can them. I guess I was just sitting around and then finally thought "I think I'll can the beans now that it is 11:00 P.M."

NUSLP said...

I wish you lived closer...because I would trade Zucchini for tomatoes...as I have about 25+ gallon bags full of tomatoes. I decided not to can, but freeze:)

kayder1996 said...

I made some zucchini blueberry bread last week which was a nice twist on the usual zucchini bread. (Recipe's on my blog.) I also have a recipe for pineapple jam that uses crushed pineapple and zuczhini. I've never made it but it just sounds intriguing. Unfortunately, bugs got my zucchini so I don't think we will have any this year. Like the new blog look!