Monday, August 25, 2008

Hope

I'm going to take a break from the regularly scheduled programming of all cute boys, all the time, to talk a little about Barack Obama and his presidential campaign. I have never had enough interest in a particular candidate to get involved in a campaign or even express a strong opinion regarding any past election but this year is different. This year I actually believe that one of the candidates is different, one of these men is ready and willing and able to change the course of this country. For too many years, decisions for the many have been made by the few: the same few wealthy white men who have used their power for their own benefits.

I realize that no one, especially no politician, is perfect. No one is going to agree with another person 100% of the time. But I believe that Barack Obama is in a position to make positive changes for our country and our families. I believe in his message of hope. I believe that he will be able to ensure better healthcare options for us. I believe that he will work hard to encourage more research on and further use of renewable energy resources. I believe that he is a Christian man who is committed to his family, and committed to using his gifts for the good of others.


Barack Obama did not grow up with a trust fund. He does not own 5 houses like John McCain, or oil wells like George Bush, or a construction company rebuilding Iraq like Dick Cheney. He was raised by a single mother and worked as a community organizer to improve conditions of poor neighborhoods. He realized that true social change had to start with legislation, so he returned to law school and then served in the Illinois State Senate before running for the U.S. Senate. His vice-president, Joe Biden, has a son who will be deployed to Iraq in October. Biden's daughter is a social worker. These men understand more about the issues facing our families than any other candidate has in a long, long time.


I've been sitting here for over an hour, tears streaming down my face and onto this keyboard, trying to find the words to express just how deeply I feel about this. (I will have to try again later, because now I've given myself a headache, and I really want to watch the speakers tonight at the DNC.)


Michelle Obama will be speaking at 9:00 CST at the Democratic National Convention. Watch her on PBS or CNN to learn more about the Obama family.


For more information on Barack Obama's positions and plans, please visit http://www.barackobama.com/


To register to vote, go to http://www.rockthevote.com/


And to see a cute baby, stay right where you are:

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I am always impressed when someone can show how passionately they feel about a subject. It is a very brave thing to do especially in politics since so many will feel the opposite! So yay for you for putting yourself out there!