Saturday, April 12, 2008

Snow Day


Hmm, my calendar says April but the view from my window implies January (in Canada). We got close to a foot of snow but even as I write this it’s melting so maybe Spring will put in an appearance someday. The power went out during the night so we all snuggled in my bed to keep warm. As much as I disliked the many cold toes on my leg, I loved the scent of sweetness and innocence that surrounded the boys. More often than not now, Ethan smells like a big kid- Cool Ranch Doritos on his breath and tractor oil on his clothes. But as I breathed in the baby-shampoo scent on his skin, I was reminded of how little and precious he is. All the big boy underwear in the world can’t change the way he still asks me to “pat, pat” his back before he falls asleep or molds his little body to mine so that every square inch of his skin is touching me. Love for these children fills me so deeply that I can hardly breathe. Evan sleeps best nestled under my chin, with my cheek pressed against his. When someone else is holding him or he’s –gasp!- down for a minute, I feel like a limb is missing. Matt and I spend hours marveling over these boys. What did we used to do in our spare time? Whatever it was doesn’t hold a candle to the delight we feel when we are with these little guys.
P.S. Yes- you read that right. Ethan has discovered Doritos and there is no going back to baked organic veggie crisps!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jenny I love your stories!!! I think you should write a book or for the paper!! ~Em~