Thursday, December 9, 2010

Five

So I have a 5 year old. Pretty crazy. He is all boy, no hints of baby anymore. Well, except for when he is playing 'baby' and Evan is the dad who fixes tractors. But that's kind of annoying. He doesn't look like a baby when he's asleep, he sprawls out all long arms and legs. (Long being a relative term, of course, of which I am reminded after spending the weekend with my extremely long-limbed 'little' cousins. Relative to me, he is quite long.) He doesn't look like a baby in jammies, or in the bathtub. He rarely runs naked anymore at all, which is clearly a sign of maturity. Every precious bone in his back is defined and surrounded by sinewy little muscles instead of that squeezable, pat-able baby fat.


He can play quietly by himself with Legos, creating elaborate farm equipment and pirate ships. He consistently beats us at Wii games, and after a brief stint with a 'Good Sport' folder last spring, he is a good, well, sport. He is starting to read and I especially love to listen to him 'read' his favorite books, word for word and page by page. He takes care of the dogs and cats and chickens. He hauls wood and steers the truck and brings Matt tools before I can say 'what does that one look like again?'.


He is affectionate, compassionate, enthusiastic. Smart, smart-alecky. Kind, generous, brave, responsible.
I really like this kid.

What are you doing? he asked.
Writing about your birthday.
Do you have a 9?
Yeah.
Well press it!
9 Why?
Because! Today is December NINTH!


I think he is constantly annoyed by my denseness.
Right on schedule.


7 comments:

Unknown said...

I know that someday I'm going to "call" him on my phone by holding my fist up to my ear and he's going to look at me and think, "what the heck is he doing...?" I don't think he should grow out of that.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
tessa said...

i love this kid too! happy birthday ethan! i remember when he was born and i could hear him over the phone and cried!

p.s. i hope that this is not a new theme that you only blog on thier birthdays

Jen said...

Maybe I'll blog on your birthday, too, Tess.

I agree Timmy. I have a long list of things he should not outgrow.

Brooke said...

Who told these boys that they could keep growing and growing? It is crazyness, I tell you! :D
Happy Birthday to your big guy!

Jenny said...

Aw, Happy Birthday to your little "man". Sweet, and sad too!

Laura said...

I'm still thinking back on the weekend and remembering how good your boys were. There wasn't any fussing,whining,complaining or fighting! WOW! You are such a good mom! They are really peaceful kids. I hope Ethan had a great birthday and will have a fun weekend.